When told we had to write an essay for our formative assessment I was feeling nervous, but as the weeks went on and the available sessions on essay writing I felt more comfortable as I was gaining plenty of interesting ideas. ‘Smells like teen spirit’ has been a great way for me to gain more knowledge of subcultures, especially ones I’ve paid an interest to in previous years. I loved the hidden meanings of each subculture too. It has also taught me about how everything comes back into fashion, and trends are always relevant and re-occurring and that to gain great ideas it’s okay to borrow to gain your own inspiration. It’s definitely going to help me in the future with my own work.
- Although things change, they are re-invented in the future and present
- Colour and materials are key
- It’s okay to break the rules
- Influences don’t have to come from a particular place
- Think of the history and function of fabrics
- Ripping of materials can portray certain things
- Questioning traditional values
- Meanings can change.