Urban Beat; Colour Board

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 11.13.15

Finishing my colour board for Urban Beat has been successful and satisfying, as now I have my pantone  references I can progress further with my designs. I will use this board to keep me informed of the colour scheme and also remind myself of the grungy, energetic vibe I want to convey with the pop of colour going through my designs. Three of these images are my own. When I went to Boys Village I took these and they’ve become a success with being on my colour board. However, I manipulated them in some way using Photoshop. This was because I wanted each image to fit and portray everything I wanted it to. Here is what I did:

Image One – The Handle

I changed the saturation and increased the exposure. I also added tints of dark pink. Before the image was more of an orange tone, however I wanted it to fit my colour ideas so I enhanced the features through Photoshop. After adding these adjustments the handle started to look exactly how I imagined, with the various shades of pink, ranging from bright to dark.

Image Two – Graffiti
This image was more of a cream overcast, I changed this by tinting it. It went a teal colour with a pop of yellow already in the image due to the graffiti. This fitted perfectly. I then blended this from the right hand side to show a sense of decay within the image as it blends in with the light.

Image Three – Light
I had this image in my mood board, however I didn’t just want to place it on the colour board without changing it to fit more to my colour scheme. I decided it would be interesting to manipulate it and see what I could produce when experimenting. I then added a layer and used the pipette tool to select my colour. I changed the options on the right hand side of the essentials on Photoshop. This enabled me to get the colour I wanted and completely change the image of the original lights. It has become less Photographic and more cartoon like with a silhouette.

Image Four – Rust 
This image was the last one I chose. I had a big gap remaining in the right hand corner and was unsure what to do with it. I decided to look through my photoshoot images and then I spotted an image I was eager to use. It was an abandoned boiler that had gained rust over the years of its decay.

By  using my Photoshop skills, the image on the left is the unedited version, which I really love but it doesn’t fit the colour scheme so utilising Photoshop enabled me to produce the image on the right, and crop the left section to fit it in the background. I experimented with the adjustments to make it fit the colour scheme, it has the light teal and pink that I wanted and I think it fits perfectly for a background image. I then blended the bottom of the image as there was a white space I didn’t know how to fix, so I used the pipette and selected the pantone and used the brush to fill in the space.

Pantone Colour Reference:
Looking at the pantone book last Tuesday I decided on 7 colours that I will be using in my designs. I used a hexagon shape in relation to bolts. They inspired me for this as they are a very urban substance. It also linked in with the bolts that are in the image of the handle. I wanted to portray my colour scheme through that instead of a regular square.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s